Essex Ham launched in 2011. It originally launched as a website to help new M6 Foundation licence holders to get on-air, but thanks to input from many Essex-based amateurs, Essex Ham has been expanded to help promote and support the amateur radio hobby, as well as becoming a handy place to gather and share information.
Essex Ham has three main aims:
- Promote: To raise awareness for the amateur radio hobby, and encourage people to take part
- Support: To offer help, advice and information to those getting started in amateur radio
- Share: To share information about amateur radio activities, clubs and training in Essex.
Essex Ham is an RSGB-affiliated amateur radio club, often referred to as a “virtual” amateur radio club.
What Essex Ham offers:
Essex Ham continues to evolve, based on suggestions from our regular visitors, supporters and contributors. Here’s a summary of what we do:
- Monday Night Net: A regular get-together of amateurs, normally on the GB3DA repeater in Danbury, Chelmsford
- Essex Ham Forum: The place to discuss amateur radio in Essex
- Foundation Online: Distance-learning for the entry-level licence, with videos and an online classroom
- Local Events Listings: What’s happening in the area… A calendar of club nights & field events
- Essex Ham Podcast: Video and audio reports from events in and around Essex
- Amateur Radio training material: including Foundation slides and content
- Getting started: Information on how to get into the hobby and get a licence
- Field events: On occasions, we run informal field events, and the occasional Special Event Station. When we do these, it’s not as a traditional club event, but usually for a specific purpose, or for training & mentoring.
- Help and advice: Pages of information on various aspects of the hobby
Supporting local clubs:
As well as providing a free service to amateurs in and around Essex, we also support clubs in the area:
- Events Promotion: We list club’s upcoming events and help with free promotion
- Event Reviews – Where possible, we visit local events and report on the activity on our site, in some cases with video reports – We’ve covered events for local groups including CARS, DHARS, Essex RAYNET, SEARS, TAARC and TARG
- Training Material – We have a full set of up-to-date Foundation training slides, handouts, videos and an online course. Our material is free, and is being used by clubs in Essex and around the UK
- Support for amateur radio clubs – Guides, resources, help, videos and more
- Web services: Essex Ham has provided hosting services for local amateur radio groups.
If you run an amateur radio club in Essex – perhaps we can help. Contact us
One of our videos – See Essex Ham videos for the full list
Essex Ham – Supporting Amateur Radio in Essex