We’re passionate about amateur radio, and we want to make the hobby as easy to take part in as possible. That’s why we’re created the “Ham Train” website.
Who’s HamTrain for?
- Newcomers – We offer information on how to get started, free training material, plus our free online training course
- Tutors & Clubs – Our constantly-updated free training material includes Powerpoint slides, handouts and videos. Our online course can be used to supplement and support existing club training
- Newly-licensed – We have lots of information on how to get started once you have your licence. You can also join our free online club for updates on the hobby and a busy forum
Our most popular service is our free online Foundation Training Course, “Foundation Online” – This is aimed at those who prefer to study at their own pace via computer. Courses are short, easy-to-follow, and free. Take a look at the following short video to find out more about our course:
To sign up to our free course, which runs once a month, go to: Foundation Online
If online training’s not for you, we also offer training slides, getting started guides and training videos, which may help with study.
For Tutors, Trainers & Clubs:
We know that it’s not easy. To help get people into the hobby requires time, planning, volunteers, a venue and an up-to-date set of training material. We can’t promise to help with all of that, but we believe we can help to make life a little easier for trainers. Here’s how we can help:
- Training Slides – We offer an up-to-date set of colourful Powerpoint slides that cover the entire Foundation syllabus. They include animations, video and practical examples of what candidates need to know. We also have video versions of each module (handy if you have no tutor!). Slides are branded “Ham Train”, which may be preferable to material branded by another club.
- Online Training – If you’re not able to run a full training course, or you want to keep students engaged between club training sessions, consider signing them up to our Foundation Online course. The course offers videos, a short test for each module, plus mock exams. In our first year, we helped almost 300 people to start their amateur radio journey. As a tutor, you’re welcome to try out our tutor’s test area (contact us for access)
- Videos – Our list of videos continues to grow. Of interest to trainers, are our Foundation Practical videos, the Foundation Exam video and a video showing the structure of a typical Foundation course
Our online courses and course material are all free to UK clubs and trainers.
For more, see our Ham Train Tutors Area
- Training Links
- RSGB Training Resources
- Training in Essex
- Foundation Training Material
- Foundation Licence Now: Training Book
- How to become a radio amateur
Something we can help with? Please get in touch